(King Edward Street Chapel, Macclesfield) - 1955
||recorded without number
The image of this silk was very kindly donated by Mary Brittan, UK.
|Woven at bottom of silk:-
|| || || |
King Edward St
Woven in Silk 1955
Printed at bottom of card mount:-
King Edward Street Chapel, 1690
| || |
Legend printed on inside cover of card mount:-
The oldest Dissenting Chapel in the town. It was built in 1690 immediately after the passing of the Toleration Act which granted freedom of worship to Nonconformists. It was known for a long time as 'Brocklehursts' Chapel', the Brocklehurst family being Unitarians and liberal patrons of this ancient place of worship. Many years ago it had a grass lawn in front and was open to both King Edward Street and the Market Place.
cm deep by cm wide
7.8cm high by 13.5cm wide
Technical Details supplied by Lewis Cowen:
|First Sketch: ||Mr Cyril Holland|
|Design Draft:||Mr James Norris|
|Card Cutter:||Mr William Stubbs|
|Weaver:||Mrs Hilda Mathers|
by Lewis Cowen:
The Brocklehurst family had for many years been supporters of, and worshippers at the Unitarian Chapel in King Edward Street, and KING EDWARD STREET CHAPEL
was selected as the subject for New Year 1955.
This silk picture was also issued as a 1955 calendar, as well as the picture, as shown in the image below.
This picture was originally issued in a brown colour mount, and it is these coloured mounts which define the original issue of this silk picture. Several years later BWA realised their pictures were being bought as collectors items, and they seem to have re-issued all the early ones mounted in a white card mount (as the main image above). It is probable however that the silks of these white re-issued pictures came from the original weaving.
image of this silk as a 1955 calendar
This page was created on 4 September 2008
image of 1955 calendar added 28 August 2020 © Peter Daws
Web site address: www.stevengraph-silks.com