|Reference Number:-||Sprake Number:-||Godden Number:-|
|obk 22||not listed||recorded without number|
19.3 cm deep by 24.4 cm wide
Technical Details supplied by Lewis Cowen:
by Lewis Cowen:
HURDSFIELD HOUSE was the last issue to appear without a legand. From 1951 all woven silk pictures had one, giving some background information, but research indicates that this building was purchased in 1729 by William Brocklehurst, for the sum of £660. At that time it was known as Lower House, Hurdsfield, and was to become the home of John Brocklehurst (William's son) at about the time he joined the button firm of Acton & Street in 1745, remaining in the family for some generations.
This picture was originally issued in a brown colour mount, and it is these coloured mounts which define the original issue of this silk picture. Several years later BWA realised their pictures were being bought as collectors items, and they seem to have re-issued all the early ones mounted in a white card mount (as the main image above). It is probable however that the silks of these white re-issued pictures came from the original weaving.
image of this silk as a 1950 calendar