Lady Godiva statue, originally located in St. Mary's Hall, Coventry, with her back towards a stained glass window.

Lady Godiva statue

(figure standing in front of stained glass window)


Reference Number:- Godden Number:- Grant Catalogue Number:-
gt 474 974 unknown
 
Words:

Woven on Silk:-
REPRODUCED BY KIND PERMISSION OF THE CORPORATION OF COVENTRY

Printed at top of card:-
 

Printed at bottom of card:-
WOVEN BY W.H. GRANT & CO. LTD., COVENTRY
 

Size:
Card-mount:
25.5cm deep by 16.5cm wide

silk:
15.2cm high by 8.9cm wide

Comments:

by Geoffrey Godden:
LADY GODIVA STATUE
A most imposing silk produced both before and after the Second World War. This was the first silk picture to be designed by T. D. Howes. The post-war version, adopted from the only draft to survive the bombing, differs slightly from the pre-war design.

Other comments:
This design was originally produced in about 1933 by Mr Thomas Donald Howes, but in a slightly smaller size. The design shows the statue of Lady Godiva, then located in St. Mary's Hall, Coventry, with a stained glass window behind the statue.

The 1933 design was issued as a calendar for that year (recorded as gt233), and reissued as a 1958 calendar (recorded as gt258), in this slightly larger size.

The picture above was issued as a silk and card with a ribbon so it could be hung on the wall. With the exception of the actual printed calendar being omitted, it is identical to the 1958 calendar version.

 
reverse of this 1958 calendar.
 
reverse of this picture, showing details of Grants products, but no 1958 calendar
 


Back to List of Grant Pictures
Back to main page

This page was created on 14 July 2017 © Peter Daws
Web site address: www.stevengraph-silks.com